Tuesday, October 7, 2008

EtsyBloggers - Blog Carnival - What I do for work outside of Etsy


Well, I'm a Birthing Doula , I have a great passion about the birthing rights of women, and this came about with the disappointing delivery of my little princess. After 2 previous C-Sections, I very much wanted a VBA2C, but with the lack of support from my hubby and family (more worry than anything) and being under the care of an Obstetrician, those hopes were very much crushed from the beginning.

Even though I may seem bitter, I'm not. I learnt from that experience, and I dont want any mum-to-be to feel pressured, threatened or told on how and where they should give birth. And as a Doula I'm able to support women in their birthing choices, provide a secure and nurturing environment while they acheive the greatest gift our bodies were given.

As a Doula I dont give medical advice, nor do I perform medical tasks, I dont make decisions for the mother, but may discuss situations and provide options for the mother to make an informed decision herself. And this is what I like about being a Doula, its not medicalised, you are focused on the mother, offering emotional support and purely being with her through out her pregnancy, labour and birth.

You may wonder, what do I actually do then?? Well, for a birthing mother whatever she wants me to do to help her get through this. It could be breathing with her, massage, visualisation, holding her hand, leaving her alone, supporting her partner - whatever she needs at that time. And I will do it without question, as a Doula thats my job - SUPPORT.

So, thats a little of what I do outside of Etsy and being a wife and mother. I could go on and on and on, but I dont want to bore you : )

3 comments:

Jen (Mama's Magic Studio) said...

Bless you for doing what you do -- Doulas are AMAZING!!! And my heart hears where you're coming from.... even though I had a wonderful doula for both births, and was hoping for natural deliveries (and then a natural VBAC) I ended up with an emergency Csection both times. Sigh. Can't always get what you home for. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Anita said...

Thanks Jen, I really appreciate it.

storybeader said...

that's great for women to have an extra support person like yourself. thanks for participating in the carnival.